Thursday, August 14, 2014

Spotlight on Vintage: August Kits

I'm such a fan of mixing old and new...modern with vintage...rustic with contemporary! So I was excited to see the classic vintage elements in this month's JBS Mercantile Papercrafting Kits.  The August kit contains a sheet of vintage numbered graph paper, 2 strips of vintage cigar box labels, 4 vintage butter pat squares and 1 cotton twine spool.

To show how perfectly these historic ephemera coordinate with new papers and embellishments, I created this page to document our summer:



I used a white-washed wood pattern as my backdrop, since its light and airy feel was perfect for a fresh summer page.  I cut my papers to 1-inch high to match the cigar labels, and varied the lengths to form a staggered stripe background.  A bit of stitching to each stripe adds dimension and texture. I also tucked in a few of the Kit Cuts, a staggered diamond design, for an added layer of interest.


The gold epoxy stickers included in the kit were perfect embellishments, adding sparkle to the page and tying in with the gold accents on the cigar labels.


I love how the old cigar labels and graph paper add a richness and patina to this design, while still mixing wonderfully with the brighter, more modern patterns. So don't be afraid to blend in some vintage to your next design! And if you're looking for even more antique-inspired pieces to incorporate into your scrapping, be sure to check out the Antiquarian Add-On.  It's full of treasures that will take your next project over the top!



Pin It!

1 comment: