Friday, February 4, 2011

Love Notes

I bought these beautiful little works of art at a Flea Market last summer.


The woman who sold them to me said they were Victorian Calling Cards. She explained that in the Victorian era, a person would bring this card with them when visiting a friend and place it on their friend's entry way table.

These cards are inscribed with the callers name underneath the flowery decoration:


If you google "Victorian Calling Cards" you'll find lots of information about them and how they were used. I'd love to incorporate them into some type of project, but I'm just not sure what yet. Aren't they sweet?!

The postcards below were my dear father-in-law's and were discovered after he passed away. He was great at saving memorabilia and showed us most everything, but these we did not know about. My father-in-law was Italian, and my husband thinks these may have been given to him while serving in the Army during WWII in Italy. Each card depicts a pencil drawn scene of a man and woman in love and some have an Italian sentiment.


Some of the sentiments are:

"Ti prometto il mio sincero affetto." I promise you my sincere affection.

"Sogno un amore puro e sconfinato." I dream of a love pure and without end.

And this post would not be complete without a photo of my fil:

I imagine this kind, quiet young man in his uniform with these postcards in his pocket.
It makes me smile!

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Love the calling cards!! I used to be obsessed with Martha Stewart before I started scrapbooking and she showed one time how she has a bowl on her front table specifically for calling cards when people visit her. After that, I wanted to have my own printed. These are very beautiful! Fascinating too! I can just see the Victorian ladies with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! What TREASURES!

    ReplyDelete